The case puts alleged spray paint and foam at a National Mall landmark under federal scrutiny. Its outcome will depend on whether prosecutors can prove the charges beyond a reasonable doubt.
Melissa Farris was charged with two felonies after federal prosecutors alleged vandalism at the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C. The World War II Memorial is in Washington, D.C., on the National Mall, and the charges remain allegations that have not been tested in court.
Prosecutors say spray paint and foam were found at the memorial on Thursday, Aug. 13. The case now turns on the government’s evidence, including a witness account and social-media video it says is connected to Farris.
Two federal counts are filed
Farris, 41, of Elizabethtown, Kentucky, is accused of depredation against property of the United States and destruction of veterans’ memorials, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia.

Federal authorities said she was arrested and charged Friday. Each count carries a potential maximum penalty of up to 10 years in federal prison, prosecutors said.
That figure is the statutory maximum cited by the government, not a forecast of what sentence Farris would receive if she were convicted. A charge is also not a finding of guilt.
Farris made an initial appearance at the federal courthouse in Alexandria, Virginia, and was detained, according to a spokesperson for U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro’s office cited by CBS News.
What authorities say they found
According to federal prosecutors, a witness told U.S. Park Police officers that the witness saw a woman spray-painting a pavilion at the memorial. A Park Ranger then arrived and saw foam in the fountain area of the Atlantic pavilion, prosecutors said.
Photos and video from the site showed soapy bubbles in fountains and multicolored paint on a wall. The reported graffiti included the phrase Clean Hands Dirty $.
Authorities said several people were on a balcony while a woman recorded herself. Prosecutors allege the woman left after seeing the ranger.
Pirro also shared a photo on X that she identified as showing Farris spray-painting the memorial. Those assertions are part of the government’s case; a judge or jury has not adjudicated them.
Video may be pivotal evidence
The government has pointed to social-media videos it says Farris posted from the memorial. CBS News described a Facebook livestream in which Farris said she knew the choices she was making and identified herself as a whistleblower.
Prosecutors say the material showed her using spray paint and later departing the area. They will still need to establish how any video, witness testimony and physical evidence support every required element of the two counts.
Farris also posted videos outside the Alexandria courthouse before turning herself in, according to the report. In those remarks, she said she had never been in that position before and that she had been trying to get people to listen.
Those statements may convey her explanation for her actions, but they do not settle the factual or legal questions before the court. Farris is entitled to challenge the evidence and the government’s account.
A memorial with national meaning
The alleged location raises the profile of the case. The World War II Memorial stands on the National Mall between the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument and honors Americans who served in World War II, including those who did not return home.
Pirro called the alleged conduct an attack on a monument honoring people who fought and died for the country. The Friends of the National World War II Memorial said a national memorial should not be used as a canvas for vandalism.
The disagreement reaches beyond cleanup or potential property damage. It involves a shared public place dedicated to remembrance, where political expression can come into conflict with restrictions intended to protect federal monuments.
Other Mall cases show the stakes
The charges arrive amid heightened attention to alleged damage and restoration work on the National Mall. In July, four people, including former Olympian David Hearn, were indicted or charged in a separate case involving alleged damage to the renovated Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool.
That case changed course when prosecutors dropped the charges, saying the damage came from a botched construction job by a contractor rather than vandalism. CBS News later reported that White House officials asked the Justice Department to consider bringing charges again, though no final decision had been made.
Another incident involved markings that appeared in grass near the Washington Monument in June. No one had been charged in that matter as of the CBS report.
Those episodes do not determine the case against Farris. They do illustrate why the source, extent and intent behind reported damage can be central to National Mall investigations.
The unresolved question is proof
The immediate confirmed development is limited: federal authorities have filed two felony charges against Farris in connection with alleged vandalism at the World War II Memorial.
What remains unresolved is whether prosecutors can prove the charges beyond a reasonable doubt. Court filings will be important in showing how the government connects the reported vandalism, the witness account and the social-media material.
The proceedings may also clarify how authorities draw a line between protected speech and conduct alleged to have damaged a federally protected memorial. The eventual outcome will be determined through the court process, not by the allegations alone.

Leave a Reply