The end of TPS has left many longtime U.S. residents facing a difficult choice: return to an unstable Haiti, remain without legal work authorization, or pursue uncertain options in Canada. The route north is not a simple escape hatch.
Haitians lost Temporary Protected Status in the United States on Aug. 5, 2026, and some Haitians are seeking refuge in Canada as a result. More than 330,000 Haitians were living in the United States under TPS protections before they ended, leaving many to weigh whether to leave, seek another immigration pathway or risk living without legal work authorization.
The Trump administration’s decision has made Canada, especially Quebec, a focus for some Haitian families. But heading north does not guarantee protection: a U.S.-Canada border agreement can quickly return many people who cross irregularly to U.S. custody.
TPS ended after a court fight
Temporary Protected Status allows people from designated countries facing extraordinary conditions to live and work in the United States for a limited period. It is not a direct route to permanent residency or citizenship, though people can hold the designation for years as it is extended or redesignated.
For Haitians, TPS has been tied to conditions following Haiti’s devastating 2010 earthquake, as well as later political turmoil, insecurity and humanitarian crises. The Trump administration ended the most recent protections after litigation that reached the U.S. Supreme Court, according to USA TODAY.
The practical change is immediate for people who relied on the designation: the loss of TPS also means the loss of work authorization attached to it. Immigration advocates say that puts households in an especially precarious position because many TPS holders have jobs, homes, businesses and children in the United States.
The Department of Homeland Security defended the policy in a statement to USA TODAY, saying TPS was intended to be temporary and had been allowed to operate as what it called a “de facto amnesty program.” The department said people who depart voluntarily may be eligible for a free flight and a $2,600 payment.
Why Canada is entering plans
Canada is geographically close, has large immigrant communities and offers refugee protection processes of its own. Quebec can hold particular appeal for Haitian migrants because French is one of Haiti’s official languages, even though Haitian Creole is more widely spoken in daily life.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police and migrant-rights advocates told USA TODAY that they were seeing increased interest from Haitians considering Canada after the U.S. policy shift. Advocates said they did not have reliable figures for how many were leaving the United States specifically, making it difficult to measure the movement beyond reports from communities and service organizations.
Canada’s broader refugee-claim data show significant recent demand from Haitians coming from all countries. The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada recorded 7,864 Haitian protection claims in 2024, followed by 14,192 in 2025. In the first quarter of 2026, it recorded 1,734 Haitian claimants; more current figures were not available in the reporting.
Those numbers do not establish that U.S. TPS holders account for the increase. They do show that Haitian migration and protection claims were already part of a larger regional pattern before TPS expired.
The border is not an open route
One of the biggest misunderstandings surrounding a move to Canada is that simply reaching the border creates a reliable opportunity to seek asylum. It does not.
Under the expanded Safe Third Country Agreement between the United States and Canada, which took effect in March 2023, many people who cross into Canada outside official ports of entry can be returned to the United States if they are intercepted. They may then be taken into custody by U.S. immigration authorities and could face deportation proceedings.
Jenn McIntyre of the Canada-U.S. Border Rights Clinic told USA TODAY that the consequences for people attempting an unauthorized crossing can be “dire.” The agreement contains exceptions, but eligibility can depend on specific facts, including family relationships and other legal circumstances. It is not a blanket path for people who have lost U.S. TPS.
People who avoid immediate interception could still try to make a refugee claim in Canada, but that outcome is uncertain. Refugee cases are decided individually, and a claim requires evidence that a person faces qualifying risks under Canadian law. A claim is not automatically approved because a person’s U.S. immigration protection ended.
Families face difficult choices
The scale of the policy’s effect extends well beyond the border. Haitian TPS holders are concentrated in communities including Miami, New York and Boston, according to the National Immigration Forum. In Massachusetts, advocates estimate that about 45,000 Haitians lost TPS.
Sarang Sekhavat of the Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition told USA TODAY that many people are still trying to determine what is best for their families. He said some have lived in the United States for decades and have U.S.-citizen children, property, businesses and jobs that cannot be easily abandoned.
The economic stakes are also local. Sekhavat said roughly 2,000 Haitian TPS holders in Massachusetts worked in nursing homes. Jill Habig of the Public Rights Project said Haitian TPS workers contributed about $4.4 billion annually through payroll and other taxes, though that estimate was cited by an advocacy organization rather than a government economic analysis.
For families, the choices are rarely limited to the United States or Canada. Returning to Haiti remains a frightening prospect for many. The U.S. government continues to warn Americans not to travel there, citing serious security risks, limited government capacity and gang control in parts of the country.
Enforcement fears add pressure
Loss of status can expose people to more than the inability to work lawfully. TPS applicants provided the federal government with identifying information and addresses as part of their applications, and advocates fear that information could make former beneficiaries easier to locate as enforcement intensifies.
The Department of Homeland Security declined to tell USA TODAY whether Immigration and Customs Enforcement would specifically target Haitians who lost TPS. That unanswered question has added to uncertainty in communities already making major decisions under time pressure.
USA TODAY reported that some Haitian immigrants in Springfield, Ohio, had been summoned to ICE offices and fitted with GPS-based ankle monitors that restrict movement. The report did not establish how broadly that practice is being used or whether it applies to all former TPS holders.
Supporters of the administration’s approach argue that a temporary program should not become permanent by default and that immigration rules need to be enforced consistently. Critics argue that ending protections amid Haiti’s continuing instability separates families, removes workers from essential industries and pushes people toward unsafe or unauthorized options.
What remains uncertain now
There is no clear count of Haitians who will leave the United States for Canada, remain in the country, seek relief through family or employment channels, or return to Haiti. Individual immigration histories matter greatly: some people may have another form of legal status available, while others may have few realistic options.
Canada may remain part of the conversation, particularly for people with legal advice and a possible basis for a claim or an exception under the border agreement. For others, the trip could lead back into U.S. custody rather than to a new life in Quebec.
The larger consequence of TPS ending is that a temporary immigration designation has become a defining fault line for longtime residents. For more than 330,000 Haitians affected, the decision is now being felt in workplaces, schools, households and communities far from either border.

Leave a Reply