Trump Threatens Bombing of Oman as Iran Talks Stall

Donald Trump featured editorial graphic

Written by

in

Oman’s role as both a U.S. ally and a regional intermediary has put it at the center of a fraught dispute over Iran, maritime access and stalled diplomacy. The reported remarks leave key questions about U.S. policy unanswered.

Donald Trump reportedly threatened to bomb Oman if it interfered with U.S.-Iran talks, according to an Aug. 17, 2026, phone interview with Fox News described by USA TODAY. The reported threat was connected to U.S.-Iran talks as Oman was negotiating with Iran over the Strait of Hormuz, a vital shipping passage between the two countries.

The warning puts pressure on a U.S. ally that has served as a regional intermediary, just as a 60-day window for a U.S.-Iran peace agreement expired. No formal U.S. policy change, military order or detailed conditions for Oman were included in the report.

A reported warning without details

USA TODAY reported that Trump made the remarks in the Aug. 17 phone interview with Fox News. The outlet cited Fox News chief foreign correspondent Trey Yingst, who said he spoke with the president.

According to that account, Trump said Oman would face military action if it got in the way of U.S. negotiations with Iran. The report did not include a White House response, Oman’s position or an announced ultimatum directed at Muscat.

That absence of detail is central to understanding the episode. A reported presidential statement can affect the calculations of governments involved in negotiations even if it is not followed by a public order, a defined red line or a new military action.

Why Oman is caught in the middle

Oman is not portrayed in the report as an adversary of the United States. It is a U.S. ally with relationships across the region, including channels to governments whose ties with Washington are difficult.

Those connections can make Oman useful when direct talks are stalled. They can also create friction if U.S. officials believe separate discussions could produce an arrangement that weakens Washington’s leverage or conflicts with its preferred terms.

The unanswered issue is what, specifically, Trump would consider Oman “getting in the way.” The available reporting does not establish whether the United States communicated any red lines to Oman or whether Oman’s contacts with Iran directly conflict with U.S. objectives.

Hormuz talks carry wider consequences

Iran and Oman had been negotiating over reopening the Strait of Hormuz, according to USA TODAY. The narrow waterway lies between Iran and Oman and is among the world’s most consequential maritime chokepoints.

The source report said Iran and the United States had both asserted control over the strait. It also said the United States had imposed a naval blockade on Iranian ports intended to stop Iranian ships from using the passage to transport oil.

For Iran, access to the strait has economic, strategic and political importance. For the United States and its partners, navigation through Hormuz affects oil flows, commercial shipping and the security posture of countries across the Persian Gulf.

That means an Oman-Iran understanding over shipping access is not simply a side negotiation. It could shape the leverage available to each side in the broader confrontation, especially if Tehran views access as a way to reduce pressure without accepting Washington’s terms.

The peace window has expired

The reported warning arrived as a 60-day period for U.S.-Iran negotiations ended on Aug. 17. USA TODAY said the period was set out in a memorandum of understanding reached in June to give the two sides time to develop a peace agreement.

Instead, the preliminary framework broke down, according to the report, and no durable end to a war that began in late February was in sight. Iranian leaders have said Tehran would not accept a deal unless the United States agreed to conditions that included compensation for Iran; Trump has rejected that demand.

The positions described in the report leave little obvious room for agreement. Oman’s separate contacts could potentially help convey ideas between the parties, but they could also become a new source of dispute if Washington sees them as diluting its bargaining position.

Military rhetoric meets commercial risk

The Strait of Hormuz has significance beyond the governments currently contesting it. Disruption, restrictions or uncertainty around the waterway can influence shipping insurance costs, oil movements and prices well beyond the Gulf.

USA TODAY also reported that Trump said the previous week he was prepared to declare the Strait of Hormuz a “territory of the United States.” The report did not explain how such a declaration would be carried out or what legal authority the administration would cite.

Supporters of a hard-line approach could argue that a threat toward Oman signals that Washington will not allow a parallel arrangement to undermine U.S. negotiating power. Critics could see the opposite risk: pressure on a country that can communicate with Iran may damage one of the limited channels available when formal talks have failed.

What remains unresolved now

There is no reported breakthrough, replacement negotiating deadline or publicly detailed Strait of Hormuz agreement. There is also no described formal shift in U.S. policy toward Oman.

The next developments will hinge on whether Washington and Tehran revive direct negotiations, whether Oman continues its dialogue with Iran, and whether either side adjusts its stated demands. The immediate dispute is over a waterway and a reported threat, but the larger question is whether diplomacy can continue when a potential intermediary is itself under pressure.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *