Harry and Meghan Plan Extended UK Stay for Archie and Lilibet

Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex featured editorial graphic

Written by

in

The reported move would put the Sussexes and their children in Britain for school and family time without restoring their official roles in the royal household. It also raises fresh questions about security, reconciliation and how long the arrangement may last.

Prince Harry and Meghan are returning to the United Kingdom for an extended stay beginning this fall, according to The Associated Press, and they are bringing their two children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5. The family is not expected to resume working roles in the royal family, making this a return to Britain rather than a return to official royal duties.

Archie and Lilibet have reportedly enrolled in British schools and are due to begin classes in September. The plan would place the Sussexes closer to King Charles III while preserving the independent California-based life Harry and Meghan built after stepping back from royal work more than six years ago.

A family move without royal duties

The central detail is the distinction between living in Britain and working for the monarchy. Harry and Meghan stepped away from senior royal duties in 2020, moved to California and have since pursued commercial and charitable work outside the institution.

According to the AP report, their planned stay does not alter that arrangement. Buckingham Palace’s policy is not to comment on speculation involving non-working royals, and a representative for Harry and Meghan declined to comment.

That leaves the reported plan in an unusual middle ground. Harry remains the younger son of the king and Meghan remains the Duchess of Sussex, but the couple would not be carrying out engagements on behalf of the crown or returning to the working-royal system they left.

For the palace, that separation matters. It avoids suggesting that the Sussexes are rejoining the formal family business while still allowing a private family relationship to develop.

School is the clearest signal

The most concrete sign of a substantial move is the reported school enrollment. A person close to the Sussexes, who was not authorized to speak publicly, told the AP that Archie and Lilibet have enrolled at British schools and will begin in September.

School enrollment points to more than a short visit for a charity appearance, holiday or family gathering. It suggests a routine built around term dates, friendships and an everyday home base in Britain, even if the family retains properties elsewhere.

The report says Harry and Meghan plan to live at a private, non-royal residence outside London. They also plan to keep their home in Montecito, California, and a vacation property in Portugal.

That setup would give the couple flexibility, but it also means the length and precise terms of the UK stay remain unclear. No public timetable, school names or details of the residence have been confirmed.

Charles has been informed

King Charles III was informed of the couple’s plans on Sunday, according to the AP. The timing is significant because Harry has recently spoken publicly about wanting reconciliation with his family and spending more time with his father.

Charles is receiving treatment for an undisclosed form of cancer. Harry has said he does not know how much longer his father has, adding emotional weight to a move that could make more frequent private contact possible.

There has already been some recent movement. Harry returned to Britain last month for charity engagements, and Meghan and the children joined part of that visit. The family spent time with Charles at his Highgrove estate in western England, AP reported.

That meeting was especially notable for Archie and Lilibet. It was their first time seeing their grandfather since Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations in 2022, according to the report.

William remains the harder question

A closer relationship with Charles would not automatically resolve the Sussexes’ broader rift with the royal family. The AP reported that there are no apparent signs of a thaw between Harry and his older brother, Prince William, heir to the throne.

The brothers’ estrangement has become one of the most enduring consequences of Harry and Meghan’s departure. In interviews and in Harry’s memoir, Spare, the couple described their frustrations with royal life and criticized palace handling of Meghan’s mental health concerns.

They also alleged that a member of the royal family made racist comments while Meghan was pregnant with their first child. Those claims, along with years of public disagreement, make any family reset more complicated than a change of address.

Peter Hunt, a former BBC royal correspondent, told Britain’s Press Association that Harry’s return could help deepen his reconciliation with Charles but might make it more difficult for William to avoid the subject. That is analysis, not a confirmed indication of either brother’s intentions.

Security could shape the stay

The practical question hanging over any longer UK stay is security. Harry has been in a lengthy dispute with the British government after a committee declined to provide automatic police protection for him and his family when they visit Britain.

Harry argues that he and his family face risks because of their royal connections, regardless of whether they are working royals. After losing a court challenge over the issue last year, he said he hoped to rebuild family relationships.

The security dispute has been one reason visits have remained difficult, particularly when Meghan and the children are involved. A private home outside London and a school routine could make security planning more consequential than it would be for a short, tightly scheduled trip.

There is no public indication in the AP report that the reported extended stay resolves the protection dispute. That remains a key unanswered issue.

Independent work will continue

The Sussexes’ reported plan is not presented as a retreat from the businesses and causes they have developed since leaving Britain. A source close to the couple told the AP that Meghan would continue leading her As Ever company from the UK.

Harry, meanwhile, could spend more time with his UK-based charities. That would build on the charitable work that has kept him traveling to Britain even as his permanent home remained in California.

The couple’s post-royal path has included high-profile deals with Netflix and Spotify, as well as public disputes with the press and the palace. Harry has won and settled some cases involving British tabloids, though he recently lost a case against the publisher of the Daily Mail and could face substantial legal costs.

For now, the reported move appears to be about family life, education and proximity rather than a dramatic institutional comeback. The details that would define it — its duration, security arrangements and whether it changes relations with William — have yet to be publicly confirmed.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *